NEGAWATT production of a 200 MW capacity power plant
The general aim of the program is to
- collect experiences and best energy efficiency practices of successful companies,
- transform them into transferable knowledge and forward them to Hungarian companies especially SMEs, who lack of energy managers internally,
- motivate the management of the SMEs to invest time and energy in EE,
- award the best companies showing results and use them as a role model for the others
- cooperate with the relevant authorities in order to create a legislation framework supporting energy efficiency.
The Virtual Power Plan Program is the largest company EE movement in the region. In 2015 we contacted 120.000 SMEs over the phone, and 20,000 via an online questionnaire, interviewed 1500 and visited and conducted EE audit at 300 companies. There are over 2000 additional companies who filled out our proprietary self-survey. There are hundreds of companies who received our prestigious award on our annual gala ceremony in the Parliament. Our cumulated knowledge about technologies, investment rationalities, motivation factors are unparalleled in the region.
The Virtual Power Plan Program will set off a 200MW power plant's electricity production with proven energy savings by 2020 (regarding direct and indirect electricity savings). Building the “virtual power plant” starts with assessing the existing energy efficiency projects. The energy saving results of a company investment is verified by our experts from the participating universities and converted into saved fossil primer energy of an actual power plant. The savings in fossil energy and the electricity with 6000h top capacity will be registered on the accounts of the company participating in the VPP Program in yearly breakdown. These savings serve as building blocks of a NEGAWATT power plant that is “virtual” since it prevents the building of a new fossil power plant.
International research shows that the first step in improving energy efficiency is creating awareness, mainly at the decision makers of the company who are usually “far” from the monthly energy bill. Attention, rationalization, metering and checking energy consumption is capable of producing a 10% saving. Conscious energy consumption is cheap and hardly requires investment, only a change in attitude and corporate practices. Those who can make it with our help, become “Energy Conscious Company”. It is an award and a sticker similar to a Michelin guide sticker, companies are proud to put on their web site, show in their hallways.
The next step comes when a company has already made an EE investment and proves us its result. General practice shows that a further 10% savings are attainable fast returns on non-subsidized investments. Investments resulting in extensive energy savings usually show a slower return but they are still more advantageous in the current economic climate than the volatile energy sector. Therefore the Virtual Power Plant Program – inventor of the Award of Excellence in Energy Efficiency – is about to urge the government to help the return of such investments by a motivating regulatory environment and by grants from European Structural Funds.
The Award of Excellence in Energy Efficiency was launched on 2011. The government-supported program aims to foster companies’ energy awareness. The three categories for companies are:
- ”Energy Conscious Company” label for those who evaluate their Energy Management System (based on our proprietary questionnaire) and make a voluntary commitment to improve it and invest in EE projects.
- ”Energy Efficient Company” award for those that indicate past investments. Award ceremony is held each year in the Parliament on 6th March on the International Energy Saving Day.
- ”Role Model Companies” who are actively promoting the Program in their supplier, customer base. In the past we were honored to have Audi Hungary, E.On Hungary, MAVIR Hungarian Independent Transmission Operator Company Ltd. among our awarded role models.